Saturday, April 10, 2010

Slightly Off-Topic: Devo!

An Ohio historical museum has received one of the red hats worn by Devo during their heyday in the 1980s. As the story in the Deseret News reports, the band made a name for itself with a number of hits, including "Whip it." The story notes:
The Ohio Historical Society says it has received a small collection of artifacts from the band and its official archivist. The items include stickers, T-shirts, costumes and a flower pot-style hat worn in the band's memorable 1980 video.

Three of the band's founding members grew up in Akron and met at Kent State University in the 1970s.

The group's name came from a theory the human race is in a process of devolution, which members read about in an anti-Darwinism pamphlet.
"Are we not men?"

----------------
Now playing: Pink Floyd - Take it Back
via FoxyTunes

5 comments:

  1. That is just hysterical. I never knew that's how they got their name. I just thought their pretty much one hit wonder was cool. Of course now whenever I thought of the song Whip It, all I can think of is young Republicans. (OK, maybe I need to dial back my snark, but I couldn't resist)

    On a more serious note, have you seen the stories related to Bruce Waltke over his Biologos video and his consequent "retirement" from RTS? I've posted a couple of comments at Through a Glass Darkly: http://www.tgdarkly.com/blog/?p=1158 This is an infuriating situation (I was going to say sad, but that just doesn't cover it). I really hope that Enns, Waltke, and Longman can find an outlet for their voices somewhere in the seminary system. But I'm not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A curious, if roundabout, connection to your blog topic. :-)

    "D-E-V-O"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days, one posts what one can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your post title should have been "Anti-Evo Devo."

    ReplyDelete