Friday, June 13, 2008

Royal Museum of Ontario Picketed!

Protesters gathered in front of the Royal Ontario Museum to protest the Charles Darwin exhibition, according to the National Post:

Waving pamphlets that suggest Darwin "showed a certain disdain for 'savages,'" and claiming "many evolutionists are outspoken racists," the protest was part of an odd campaign to stake out the higher ground for creationists, using the unlikely racism card.

Funny, I don't know of any evolutionists that are racists. In fact, the very essence of the synthetic theory of evolution is anti-racist at its core. The article continues:

"I wrote to the president of the Royal Ontario Museum," Dr. McVety said. "I didn't ask him to stop the exhibit. I just asked him to expose the truth, to expose [Darwin's] writings about genocide, the hateful writings about the aboriginals and the negroes. He refused, and that's why we're here today."

One wonders if the good reverend has actually read Darwin. See this post from the TalkOrigins site about Darwinism and genocide.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the note. I missed this in the news - even though it was my own city. I took my 14-year old son to see the exhibit at the ROM in March and recorded my thoughts here.

    And, yes, I suspect neither the pastor or his supporters have ever read Darwin. If fact, I bet none of them actually went in an viewed the exhibit. If they had, they would have realized that Darwin opposed slavery, and almost got kicked off the Beagle because of this opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not realize that Darwin and Fitzhugh got into it over slavery. Thanks for that little insight.

    ReplyDelete