Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Slightly Off Topic But Relevant

Last week's Parade Magazine had a small story on Home Schooling. In their "Intelligence Report," the writers quote Richard Kahlenberg, the "author of a number of books on education." He states that the homeschooling controversy

...pits those who believe parental rights are paramount against those place a premium on well-educated citizens."

That is astounding. My wife has a bachelors degree and a masters degree in Art Education. I have two masters degrees and a Ph.D. As I noted a few posts back, my son Marcus, who is homeschooled, just took the second grade Stanford Achievement test and blew it out of the water compared to public school children who took it. My wife and I have come to view the homeschooling controversy as not being an "educated versus uneducated" one but one that reflects the state not having control over what my children are taught.

Despite numerous studies to the contrary, the NEA continually wants more control over what children are taught in this country. One of the problems is that they can get their foot in the door by pointing out to legislators that creationism is being taught at home. That raises the red flags, as well it should. This is where creationism is at its worst. I will fight to the death for my right to home school our children, and I know that they and the vast majority of the kids that are home schooled get a great one, but when I see the debate over evolution, I can kind of see the other side's point.

No comments:

Post a Comment