Monday, January 26, 2009

Open Letter to Barbara Cargill

Also in the Houston Chronicle story, one of the SBOE members was quoted as saying:

“There are many, many gaps that don’t link species changing and evolving into another species, so we want our students to get all of the science, and we want them to have great, open discussions and learning to respect each other’s opinions,” said Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands, a former science teacher.

I have written Ms. Cargill the following letter:

Dear Ms. Cargill,

You were quoted in today's Houston Chronicle thus:

“There are many, many gaps that don’t link species changing and evolving into another species, so we want our students to get all of the science, and we want them to have great, open discussions and learning to respect each other’s opinions,” said Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands, a former science teacher.

As a scientist keenly interested in how this debate is resolved I am curious: what is your evidence for the above quotation? Are you familar with Donald Prothero's book "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters?" If not, please avail yourself of an opportunity to pick up a copy and read it. It is extraordinarily informative and addresses exactly the issue you raise. Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,

James Kidder, Ph.D.

I am curious to see if I get a response.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:42 PM

    I like the letter. But I've got even money that says it will be surrounded by hoarse, angry ranting from the PZ set and will fall prey to a sanctimonious select-all delete.

    I wish more people understood that invective doesn't persuade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear that you are correct. One can hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that one problem is that one one side there are some very vocal people that are incensed that anyone would believe in a God and can't hide their condescension and ridicule and on the other side, there are people who literally believe that people like me are going to Hell and are manifestations of Mark 9:42: ""And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck." It is their job to fight against viewpoints like mine not matter the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't proofread that last comment, did I?

    ReplyDelete